Rules and Guidelines
1. The purpose of this league is to have fun, build confidence and learn to enjoy baseball. Coaches should focus on fundametals, encourage teamwork and sportsmanship.
2. Games last 1 hour 15 minutes and no scoring is kept. Play as many innings as possible in the allotted time.
3. Each team is allowed 10 defensive players with 4 outfielders. The pitcher is positioned as an extra infielder behind the pitching machine or coach who is pitching, while the catcher assumes the normal position and returns the ball to the coach.
4. Free substitution is allowed and all players should get equal playing time.
5. All attending players must be included in the batting order.
6. A half inning ends with the third out or when 9 players have batted.
7. Each batter is given 5 pitches to put the ball in play and a 6th pitch if they hit one of the 5 pitches foul. No batter may receive more than 6 pitches per at-bat. If the batter fails to hit a ball in fair play after 6 pitches the at-bat is recorded as an out
8. No base stealing, advancing bases on passed balls, infield fly rules or bunting allowed.
9. Players should be taught to avoid contact on the basepaths and to slide properly.
10. The person operating the pitching machine (or pitching) shall also act as umpire, making all base calls. This league does not call balls and strikes.
11. On balls hit to the outfield, the play is over when the ball reaches the infield. Runners may not advance on an overthrow.
12. In the event of a pitching machine malfunction or failure, the game shall continue from that point using a “coach pitch” format with all the same rules.
13. When a batted ball hits the pitching machine, the ball is dead, the batter is given a single and all runners advance one base. Thrown balls striking the machine are rules “dead” with no runners advancing. Keep players away from the Pitch Machine, for safety reasons.
14. To help speed the play, the defensive team shall supply and adult coach or volunteer behind the catcher to help retrieve passed balls.
15. Catchers must wear catcher’s gear and use a catcher’s mitt. Male players must wear a protective cup.
Rules for Player Pitch portion of the season:
- Each pitcher may pitch a maximum of 2 innings per game (maximum of 3 innings/week.) Delivery of a single pitch constitutes having pitched an inning.
- There is free substitution, except for pitchers. Once a pitcher is removed from pitching, they cannot return to the mound in that game.
- Warm ups between innings are limited to 5 pitches, or 1 minute. Mid-inning pitching changes warrant more warm-up pitches.
- The coach of the team at-bat should call balls and strikes from behind the pitchers mound. If the pitcher throws 4 balls the coach of the team at-bat must then pitch the remainder of the count. The batter only becomes a runner by hitting a ball fair that is overhand-pitched by his coach from the rubber. Coach throws the remaining strikes on the batter’s count at the time of ball 4. Batter may become out for all the reasons covered by rules including strike 3 thrown from the coach. Strikes may be called on the batter if coach throws a strike & batter does not swing. Hit by pitches with coach pitching are a ball, batter does not take a base. If batter hits the ball and it touches the coach, it is live. No Walks Allowed.
- No straight base stealing. No infield fly rule. No balks. No bunting. No running on a dropped third strike.
- Runners may lead off once the pitch crosses home plate.
- Runners may only score on plays that are initiated by the batter. Runners may not score on balls being returned to the pitcher or on over-throws to any base.
- Runners may not score on passed balls. (Home is closed).
- Runners must avoid contact with fielders, head first slides are not allowed.
- To help speed the play, the defensive team shall supply and adult coach or volunteer behind the catcher to help retrieve passed balls.
- Catchers must wear catcher’s gear and use a catcher’s mitt. Male players must wear a protective cup.