Rules and Guidelines
1. The purpose of this league is to have fun, build confidence and learn to enjoy baseball. Coaches should focus on fundamentals, encourage teamwork and sportsmanship.
2. Games last 1 hour 15 minutes and no scoring is kept. Play as many innings as possible in the allotted time.
3. Each team is allowed 10 defensive players with 4 outfielders. The pitcher is positioned as an extra infielder near second base, while the catcher assumes the normal position and returns the ball to the coach.
4. Free substitution is allowed and all players should get equal playing time.
5. All attending players must be included in the batting order.
6. A half inning ends with the third out or when 9 players have batted.
7. Each batter is given 5 pitches to put the ball in play and a 6th pitch if they hit one of the 5 pitches foul. No batter may receive more than 6 pitches per at-bat. If the batter fails to hit a ball in fair play after 6 pitches the at-bat is recorded as an out
8. No base stealing, advancing bases on passed balls, infield fly rules or bunting allowed.
9. Players should be taught to avoid contact on the basepaths and to slide properly.
10. The person operating the pitching machine (or pitching) shall also act as umpire, making all base calls. This league does not call balls and strikes.
11. On balls hit to the outfield, the play is over when the ball reaches the infield. Runners may not advance on an overthrow.
12. In the event of a pitching machine malfunction or failure, the game shall continue from that point using a “coach pitch” format with all the same rules.
13. When a batted ball hits the pitching machine, the ball is dead, the batter is given a single and all runners advance one base. Thrown balls striking the machine are rules “dead” with no runners advancing. Keep players away from the pitching machine, for safety reasons.
14. To help speed the play, the defensive team shall supply and adult coach or volunteer behind the catcher to help retrieve passed balls.
15. Catchers must wear catcher’s gear and use a catcher’s mitt. Male players mustwear a protective cup.